Have an Abandoned Vehicle?
Tow trucks owned by Stephenson Bowen Recovery & Removal performs abandoned vehicle removals in Provo & Orem, UT. We implemented a privatization program as a private firm to perform this work. The abandoned vehicles are taken to auto pound 3S or 3N where they are — if not redeemed by the owners — sold for scrap. Since this privatization program began, hundreds of abandoned vehicles have been towed and impounded.
A vehicle can be classified as abandoned if it meets one or more of the following criteria:
- On a public way in a state of disrepair as to be incapable of being driven in its present condition.
- Has not been moved or used for more than seven consecutive days and is apparently deserted.
- Has been left on the public way without state registration or a temporary state registration placard for two or more days.
- Is a hazardous dilapidated vehicle left in full view of the general public, whether on public or private property.
- This does not apply to bicycles.
You should know
Any vehicle so removed shall be towed to an authorized facility. The owner of a vehicle towed under the provisions of this subsection shall be responsible of the tow and any towing or storage charges. Unclaimed hazardous dilapidated motor vehicles shall be disposed of as provided by the Utah Vehicle Code, as amended; provided, however, that if the hazardous dilapidated motor vehicle bears no ascertainable vehicle identification number, and no registration-registration sticker as defined in the Utah Vehicle Code, and no other identification by which the last registered owner of the vehicle can be determined for the purpose of giving notice, the vehicle may be disposed of immediately after it is impounded at a public facility.
That’s not all…
Nothing in this subsection shall apply to any motor vehicle that is kept within a building when not in use, to inoperable historic vehicles over 25 years of age, or to a motor vehicle on the premises of a place of business engaged in the wrecking or junk car towing of motor vehicles. Any person who violates this section shall be fined for each offense. Each day a vehicle remains abandoned shall constitute a separate and distinct offense for which a separate penalty may be imposed.
Abandoned vehicles should be reported by calling us direct at (801) 331-5277.